Sunday, August 30, 2009

I should have stayed in bed this morning...

Have you ever had one of those days where you knew, just knew, that you didn't have "it"? That was me today. I woke up early as always, dressed in my customary jog clothes, and headed out before the sun was even hinting. But as soon as I started, I could feel that it was off. My legs were heavy and the road felt like sand. I went for a mile (no stops, thank you very much) and then passed one of those digital signs that shows the time and the temperature. It was 87 degrees at 5:45 am. That sucked the wind right out of my sails.

I started walking, rationalizing that if I just got myself home today, I'd have more energy to "start over" tomorrow when Jet and I start the 5k program. Then my Internal Athlete (I didn't even know I had one of those!) reminded me that my first race is 2 weeks away, and it's entirely possible that it will be 87 degrees and that my legs will be heavy. So I started running again. That lasted for another few minutes, then my External Wimp took over and I walked the rest of the way.

Grrr - no french toast for me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment